Competitions and Rejections!
Hello everyone!! This is a special one for all of those who feel the invisible pressure burdened onto them. I have many names in my head right now who can claim this is for them. Lemme tell you, you have been my inspiration at so many times.
Today, I am here to talk about how competitions and rejections are like noughts and crosses! The game in which the one who grasps the objective and plausibly the tactics, leads to a draw - a no win situation. But, do you lose the game either?
Well, competitions work like that too. The only outcome you get out of it is a reality check - a route map to success. And rejections are obviously friction in that journey. So, how does getting a hand on these brings you to a better position? Simply put, take every rejection as an input fed-back to the competitions’ algorithm. Whether this feedback is positive or negative is a rhetoric one needs to answer. And then maybe you can work out the math to predict whether the rejections stop or is it you.
‘Do what it takes!’ is usually what I say to myself whenever I felt I was conceding to the rejections this ultra competitive life has offered to me. Yes, I am aware that everyone has a different story to tell, the variations can be endless, yet one thing is common for all that has been proven victorious - they all did what was necessary irrespective of whether it drained every bit of themselves from their own selves. That's why I call them ‘the survivors’.
but the external victory or the internal one? i know so many in my profession who are victors externally ... they have attained "success" in this " ultra competitive world" .. i see them all around smugly satisfied but hollow inside.....
ReplyDeleteI think we often pay too much importance
to this external success and reducing everything to tangible metrics has its perils. For even the choice of metrics are somewhat subjective. For example someone can do 70 mcq successfully ... but someone else may fail badly at that but may crack a real hard problem or two in the same time!
Also our definition of success is circumscribed by the arena we choose.
Many a times whether one chooses to be a " big fish in a small pond and a small fish in a big pond" may define whether one can be regarded as a "success". In the realm of intellectual academic pursuits this matters a lot.
Oh dear!! Victory and success are both personal and highly ambiguous, also very subjective. Besides, you got confused with your own rhetorics. Next, this external success is being judged based on some set parameters, one has to decide before entering the contest.
DeletePs - this blog in particular was not about the successful elite victors you talked about. Thence, I wish to reserve my comment on how you feel about the allegedly questionable definition of success.
Pps - this blog was not to mention those who are surrounded by the fears of failures, maybe coz of the parameters decided before the game starts.
the quote should read " A big .... OR a small fish ...." 😔
ReplyDeleteIf one has to drain every bit of oneself as you mentioned, in the quest for success then one runs the risk of being lost. The person who is successful in the end may not be the same person.
ReplyDeleteI admit though that I was barking up the wrong tree when I was talking about the hollowness of success in general as the success you discussed was in the narrower domain of competition.
Can’t you read? I am clearly not suggesting of any ‘has to drain’ compulsion as a milestone to success. On the contrary, I was cheering those who held on despite the perils they faced.
DeleteHaving said that, adapting to situations is far more respectful than succumbing to failure. It’s a personal choice. So, if one wishes to be a sore loser with having preserved the rudimentary can’t change attitude, all I can offer is my heart felt good wishes.
PS- I highly encourage you to start penning down your thoughts as I see no point in explaining or convincing anyone with mine. This particular blog was a modest attempt to let my peers know that there can be joy in sorrow. There will be a silver lining, if they took each rejection as a lesson and improved themselves to come back stronger in the competition again. And not at all talked about the society’s perception of success. Maybe, you stretched it too far. Anyway, peace out. Kthanksbye.